The most interesting Monday in May has arrived! Models, actors, singers, and model-actor-singers waltzed along the carpet at The Met, and the Internet sulked along to produce these Met Gala 2023 memes, tweets, and reactions (mostly to Jared Leto’s cat costume).
This year’s theme is Karl Lagerfeld: A Line of Beauty, and is co-hosted by co-hosts Penélope Cruz, Michaela Coel, Roger Federer, Dua Lipa, and of course Vogue’s Anna Wintour. It’s honoring the late German designer who served as the creative director for Chanel and Fendi, and also was a creator behind Balmain, Tommy Hilfiger, and more.
As with many past themes of fashion’s biggest night out, this one wasn’t free of controversy. It’s not doing much to counter the lack of BIPOC designer representation. And, Lagerfeld outwardly disapproved of the #MeToo movement. Not a great look, no matter how it’s dressed.
In less serious controversy, Blake Lively, AKA the queen of the Met Gala, won’t be attending 2023’s soiree. We’ll stop crying about it eventually. As for the other biggest names in fashion, they showed up for the assignment. Which apparently meant…cats?
We’ll take it as we judge every look from our couch in our sweatpants.
Doja Cat and Jared Leto #MetGala pic.twitter.com/5EvoaLzW9S
— Kristine (@__kristine_h) May 1, 2023
The 19 Best Met Gala 2023 Memes, Tweets, and Reactions (So Far)
1. We’ve been training for this.
2. Who will match the carpet this year?!
3. Negroni Sbagliatos for everyone!
4. Sorry, Karl. Your cat is the real star tonight.
choupette is the real star of the night #MetGala pic.twitter.com/YOtUYia0Z1
— Ɩay ⋆ (@scrpioangell) May 2, 2023
5. Not a cat carrier?
doja cat is in a fucking plastic bag rn yall pic.twitter.com/rZrW5hxP7o
— janito (@yassnito) May 1, 2023
6. We can’t explain this, but it’s true.
7. Who wore it better?
8. We’ll give you 1,000 words by tomorrow morning.
9. The dress that keeps on living.
10. For reference:
Olivia Wilde and Margaret Zhang wear the same dress to the 2023 Met Gala. https://t.co/bhXfhtgyg0
— Pop Crave (@PopCrave) May 2, 2023
11. Oh thank goodness!
12. He can do no wrong.
13. You can’t say you weren’t thinking it.
jenna ortega at the met gala when an interviewer asks her about the wednesday dance pic.twitter.com/b9CHGKcE2N
— sashy (@jennascreams) May 2, 2023
14. Leave Adam Driver out of this.
15. Truly a different level.
girls & gays leaving studio 54 after doing lines all night and dancing to Donna Summer pic.twitter.com/pSbXYg0qHr
— ???? (@heyjaeee) May 1, 2023
16. Pete strikes again!
Pete Davison, you stay away from MOTHER #MetGala pic.twitter.com/zjS3f9YhOg
— The Nerds of Color (@TheNerdsofColor) May 2, 2023
17. She knows the power she holds.
18. We haven’t blinked in two hours.
19. …we’re still interested
Rihanna filming a fenty ad in the bathroom while they’re closing the met gala carpet pic.twitter.com/qhc4rdEL9d
— JOAN OF ART (@umcornell) May 2, 2023
- These Memes and Tweets About the Canada Wildfire Are Themselves Fire - June 7, 2023
- 115 Dad Jokes That Are So Bad, They’re Somehow Good - May 26, 2023
- These Therapy Memes Are Almost *Too* Relateable - May 25, 2023
Leave a Comment