Food + Drink
Making a Rice Krispie Treats recipe? Make these simple, gooey, classic treats even better than the original by using browned butter, vanilla and Peeps. To take this recipe to the next level, in addition to swapping out regular marshmallows for sugar-coasted ones, we browned the butter and added pure vanilla extract.
– Cooking spray – 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter – 4 packages Peeps marshmallows (divided, or 10 ounces mini marshmallows) – 1 tsp. vanilla extract (divided) – 6 cups Rice Krispie cereal (divided)
1. Brown your butter. Place half the blue Peeps in a microwave-friendly bowl and heat for 45 seconds. Let rest, and heat them for another 30 seconds. Spray your spatula with cooking spray and pour half the butter and 1/2 tsp. vanilla on top. Mix until combined.
2. Add 3 cups of Rice Krispie cereal. Spray your spatula and stir until combined. Spray your hands and gently press them into the pan.
3. Repeat the process with the pink Peeps (you’ll notice some are a different color below – that’s because we were able to find Cotton Candy ones!)
4. Let them fully cool and then cut into bars.